Friday, June 16, 2006

Soccer-World-"I'm no Rooney," says South Korea's Park


Fri, Jun 16, 11:22 AM

By Alastair Himmer
BERGISCH-GLADBACH, Germany, June 16 (Reuters) - South Korea's Park Ji-sung laughed off comparisons with England striker Wayne Rooney on Friday, saying: "I'm not world class".
Park was influential in South Korea's 2-1 win over Togo in their World Cup opener but modestly denied he was as important to the side as his Manchester United team mate Rooney is to England.
"There's a big difference between me and Rooney," South Korea's playmaker told reporters. "He's just 20 years old and it is unbelievable how special he is.
"He's got physical power and he's strong technically as well."
Park added: "I'm not a superstar. I don't think I'm world class. I'm a better player than before I came to Manchester United but I still need to do many things to improve."
Asked about Rooney's rapid return from a broken metatarsal, Park said he was surprised how sharp Rooney looked when he came on in Thursday's England's 2-0 win over Trinidad & Tobago.
"It was a surprise he came back so quickly," smiled Park. "But when I saw him on TV he looked physically fit. He just needs time because he hasn't played for seven weeks. He's getting there."
Park played a key role in South Korea's amazing run to the semi-finals of the 2002 World Cup as co-hosts with Japan and the 25-year-old would not rule out a repeat.
South Korea lead Group G following France's goalless draw with Switzerland and take on the 1998 World Cup winners in their next game on Sunday.
"If we win we're in the second round," said Park. "I don't want to believe that we can't go through. In 2002 nobody thought Korea could go to the semi-final.
"I think at this World Cup we have a chance to do it again."
But Park sounded a warning his South Korea team mates to ahead of Sunday's showdown with "les Bleus" in Leipzig -- watch Thierry Henry.
"Everyone will need to defend well," said Park. "Thierry Henry is one of the best strikers in the world. If for one moment we don't pick him up then maybe we'll lose."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home